Thick and chewy buttery cookies flavoured with toasted pecans, pure maple syrup and vanilla. Baked to perfection, these cookies are far from average.
Cookies! These cookies are little bites of yumminess. Some cookies are just a little bit boring *yawn*. However, my favourite homemade cookie base gets a flavour punch with pure maple syrup, toasted pecans and vanilla.
Cookie science! If you are a science nerd like me, please get yourself a hot beverage and a slice of this cake or any cake you like and read away!
These cookies use the same dough as my honeycomb crunch cookies, one of my very first cookie recipes. The outcome of these cookies was fudgy, moist and over-the-top!
Revising this recipe, I wanted to add pure maple syrup, for flavour and for the sugar content. I didn't want to use fake maple flavoring so I was needing to make some compromises with the dough base.
I reduced the amount of sugar in the dough, used salted butter to cut the sweetness and I added extra flour to achieve a good dough texture. Also, since there is such a large amount of liquid such as melted butter, syrup and eggs, I was going to have to leave the dough for a long time to chill and rest.
I ended up leaving the dough to rest for 18 hours!! Even after this amount of time, the dough was still slightly soft to touch and a bit sticky to work with but I am sure glad I left it for that long.
I love eating cookie dough, just straight out of the bowl, when no one is looking. So, I had some of the cookie dough, before I chilled it and it tasted amazing. Once chilled, I had some more (quality control!) and I was blown away by the flavour. The flavour had some how intensified, giving the cookies a divine taste of butter, maple and vanilla.
And also, once baked, your house will smell like butter, maple and vanilla!
You'll thank me.
These cookies are flavour bombs of awesomeness! Yep, I actually just typed that. the perfect size to hold in your hand and fudgy and delicious. These cookies, on the scale of being cakey (1 being complete fudge and 5 being a sponge cake) they would probably rank at number 2.
Personnellement, Je pense que ces biscuits sont vraiment délicieux et bon. Le parfum de les bicuits est tres alléchante!
Right now in the land of Scotland, it is unseasonably warm for September. The feeling of the Autumn and Fall hasn't completely hit me yet, weather wise but I have been wearing scarves, ankle boots and a messy bun in my hair.
Autumn - the time for style :D
These cookies, for me, capture the flavour of Autumn; buttery, sweet caramel and maple notes, toasted buttery pecans and the floral coziness of the vanilla, yum!
Toasted Pecan Maple Vanilla Cookies
Posted by Eve
- 125g pecan halves or walnut halves, plain
- 70g salted butter, melted
- 50ml pure maple syrup
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 215g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Chop the pecans very roughly and place a large frying on a high heat. Add the pecans to the pan and stir often to toast the nut evenly. Once the pecan aroma has been released from the nuts, take them of the heat and place on a plate to cool completely.
- Next, for the cookies, put the butter, syrup, sugar, eggs and vanilla into a large bowl and whisk well to get rid of any lumps.Sieve in the flour, cornflour and baking powder and mix until a soft dough has formed. Add the cooled pecans and mix thoroughly.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 12 hour until the dough is firm yet still soft. Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, roll the dough into heaped tablespoon balls or 28g if you want to weigh them. Once all of the dough is rolled, put the balls onto a tray and freeze for 30 minutes until very firm.
- Preheat the oven to 190c/ 180c/ gas mark and line a large baking tray with baking parchment or silpat mat.
- Place the chilled dough balls on the baking tray , giving at least 8cm space between each cookie. Don't press the cookies down to flatten them, they need to be nice and round.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes until slightly spread and slightly golden brown. Leave the cookies to cool on the tray for 1 minutes before placing the cookies onto a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies should be stored in an air-tight container for up to 7 days wit a slice of bread to retain moistness.
Toasted pecan maple vanilla cookies
1 cookie (1/25 of recipe)