The best pancakes ever! Fluffy, light and soft, these simple but delicious pancakes require so little effort and time.
I think I win the tastiest breakfast award today. I mean, come on, look at these divine cakes; fluffy, airy and tender, these definitely are my favourite pancakes ever!
Each bite covered in sticky golden syrup and salted butter, this is my idea for the perfect, decadence and cozy Autumn breakfast with a cup of piping hot tea.
Look at that syrup - so sweet and luscious!
I can't believe that this is my first pancake recipe on Baking the Day, I love pancakes soo much! Pancakes are definitely a food of my childhood; after school, I would run to the bakery next-door to my house and buy a very big, thick and dense pancake, which kinda stuck to the roof of your mouth. I know that does not sound appealing in the slightest, but in those days, after a disgusting school dinner, I was probably dying for some filling processed carbs!
You will be happy to hear that these pancakes are the complete opposite of the ones sold at that bakery!
Plain flour, sugar, eggs and milk are the key ingredients in these delicious pancakes. No boxed mix here! This pancakes could not be any simpler; mix together the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, combine together and cook on a pan until puffy, golden and darn-good looking.
Are you one of those people who love eating raw cake batter and cookie dough? I totally am, once the cake is in the oven, I get a spatula and start eating the cake batter, who doesn't? However, raw pancake batter, if in this style, is not my cup of tea but once cooked on the pan, the batter becomes an amazing pancake, kinda like the ugly duckling!
An ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!
The most important thing about these pancakes is to cook them on a non-stick frying pan or griddle. In my house, I haven't had a non stick frying pan in ages as once I got an induction hob, I couldn't find any frying pans with a magnetic bottom to work with the hob. But finally, after a long search, I found a very good pan and I cannot tell you how happy I am.
It is worth its weight in gold, trust me.
And also, having a non-stick pans requires no oiling of the pan and washing up is a whole lot easier!
Fluffy American Pancakes
Posted by Eve
Makes 12, serves 4-6
- 225g plain flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 egg
- 200ml milk, I used semi skimmed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. oil, I used rapeseed oil
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda and caster sugar into a bowl and mix together. In a separate jug, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until nearly smooth with a few lumps. Heat a non stick frying pan on medium heat or use a griddle.
- Using a large tablespoon, put 2 tablespoons of batter on to the pan and cook until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for another minute or so until golden and fluffy.
- Continue to use up the rest of the batter. Serve warm with butter, jam, maple syrup, golden syrup or nutella
Fluffy American Pancakes