So finally I have baked again, it seems so long since I last turned on the oven. For some, it may be way too early to get into the festive spirit but for me, I think this is the perfect time of the year to slowly get into the Christmassy mood. My first item on my "get into Christmas" check list is always to make some seasonal treats so ta dah!
These Christmas tree cookie bars are just the thing to get into the Christmas spirit. Their warming and spicy flavours are so delicious served with a cup of tea after a long wintery walk. As well as tasting good, they are also gorgeously festive with the icing decorations.
These bars are a doddle to make and they are dairy free, egg free and vegan butter free. You may think since these bars don't contain butter that they will taste horrible but these bars are so, so good! These bars contain a secret ingredient that makes them taste slightly caramely; dates! Dates are one of my favourite ingredients right now, I could live off them!
I use dried dates found in the baking or snacking aisle in the supermarket. I would use medjool dates instead but 1, they are uber expensive if they are not bought from a food market 2, they are not readily available to me and 3, they are so irresistible and I would eat them before they would have the chance to be put into a cake!
To make the bars, simply blend together the oil, sugar, soy milk, dates and spiced until smooth and mix into the dry ingredients, easy! Spoon the thick and sticky dough into a cake tin and smooth it with a knife. Refrigerate the dough for one hour and then bake until golden and soft.
The hardest thing about this whole recipe is waiting for the cookie bar to cool completely before slicing and decorating into little trees but it is worth it!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please comment if you would like more vegan and delicious recipes. Or even comment to say hi.
Hugs and squeezes,
- 50ml oil, I used rapeseed
- 80g soft light brown sugar
- 70ml soy or other dairy-free milk
- 50g dates, soaked in boiling water 10 minutes prior
- 1/2 tbsp. of mixed spice
- 1/2 tbsp. of freshly grated ginger
- 125g flour, I used a combination of brown rice flour and wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
Decorations such as icing, sprinkles etc, - optional
- Put the oil, sugar, milk, dates, mixed spice and ginger in a jug and blend with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- Put the flour, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until you have formed a sticky and soft dough.
- Spoon the dough into a greased 18 cm cake tin. Chill for 1 - 24hr.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc / 170ºc fan / gas mark 4. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden and set.
- Leave to cool in the tin completely before slicing and decorating..