This cake is Christmas!
Sweet and spicy as well as being egg and dairy free. This is just a very short post as I have been so busy recently with exams and work.
Anyway, this cake is uber tasty and perfect for winter. The warming ginger with the flavourful chai tea and sweet orange give the cake a lovely flavour.
Happy baking and hugs and squeezes,
Chai Spice, Ginger and Orange Cake
Posted by Eve
Makes 1 cake
- 200ml milk, I used soy
- Juice of 1 clementine or orange
- 1 bag of chai tea in 125ml boiling water
- 180g plain flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. of mixed spice
- 1 tbsp. of freshly grated ginger
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g golden syrup
- 60ml oil, I used rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 180c /170c fan/ gas mark 4 and grease and line a 20 cm cake tin, set aside.
- In a cup or glass, mix together the milk and orange juice and leave for 5 minutes to thicken and curdle. Set the cup of chai tea aside to steep.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and mixed spice and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the ginger, sugar , syrup, oil, vanilla and add the chai tea. Whisk until smooth.
- Add half of the flour to the sugar mixture and half of the orange milk and whisk until just smooth. Add the rest of the flour and the est of the orange milk and fold together.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until rise, golden and smelling delicious. Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack.
- I recommend that you store the cake in an air-tight tin overnight before eating it, it gets even better!